If we do not find the time for ourselves and put it on a calendar then chances are we won't get to take that time. Two years ago I was getting really burnt out at being a stay-at-home mom. I was angry because staying home was not a choice that I had made for me. I was staying home because our oldest daughter, Emily, needed me to take her to all of her doctor's appointments and daily therapies. I was frustrated because just months before Emily arrived I had finally completed my four year degree and was on a career path.
So two years ago I decided to take my first vacation - alone! I went to Florida and stayed with a family friend and really took the time to enjoy not being a mom and reconnect with my inner spirit. It was at this point that I started to realize how important it is to take time for yourself everyday, even if it is for only a few minutes.
When I begin to get that feeling again of being burnt out I remind myself that it is okay to put everything on hold to take care of me. Other things can wait, but if I don't take care of myself and I get sick, then life will be that much more challenging for us all. So here are some of the things that I do to take care of me:
- I take a shower and get ready without anyone in the bathroom everyday (no kids)
- We have a weekly cleaning person come and clean so that I can focus on more important tasks
- I get a massage or pedicure every other month
- I treat myself to a nice haircut every six weeks or so
- Sometimes I go out to eat or shopping alone
- I take time to chat with friends online or on the phone
- I go to the gym at least 3 times a week - sometimes more
- I treat myself to a nice glass of wine at the end of the day
- and so much more....